Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Monday, March 27, 2006
Hide my income?
I was listening to Clark Howard show earlier on today while working and the lady that filled in for him (Illyce Glink) mentioned a story about Chicago city workers being given incentives to subscribe to direct deposit. The Mayor offered incentives in order to persuade the workers to subscribe to having their paychecks directly deposited into their bank accounts. However, after much persuasion, most of the workers still refused to subscribe to it citing reasons such as possible security issues and their banks knowing how much they earn (puzzling, I know) among others. The most counfounding one to me among their reasons was that they didn't want their spouses to know how much they earn. You're kidding me, right? WTF?

That's just one thing I have never understood in my life so far. This is an issue that just puzzled me growing up. I knew a lot of married men that just believed it was a taboo for their wives to know their salaries and I couldn't comprehend why. This is actually very common among couples from what I have heard and seen. How won't your spouse know how much you earn! It just doesn't make sense to me. I understanding hiding it if you are just girlfriend/boyfriend, but as soon as you guys make up your minds to get married, he/she should know. I mean…as couples, I, personally, think you should truly be 1 like the Bible says. Actually, even if you take out the Bible factor, I just think the relationship will work better if both of you are totally open and share all. For God's sake, I have even told people that are not that close to me my salary before. How much more the person that I am supposed to be in love with and share each and everything with. WTH? It just really mystifies me how couples can hide their earnings from one another. I am guessing there could be several reasons, but for me, there is no justifiable reason for me to hide my salary from my wife. To me, I might as well not marry her then. My wife should be my best friend, sister and fully trusted partner, so why would I hide such from her. I know sharing personal information about yourself can always burn you big time later but I still cannot imagine my wife not knowing how much I earn. If she doesn't know how much I earn, then for God's sake, how can we even sit down and work on our financial plan together. WTF?

I know many people give various reasons for hiding their income from their spouses. From the guy's side: The woman might want to start overshopping et al. The woman might think because he is making all that money, she can choose to mismanage funds. So? From the women: They want to be able to stash some money in a secret account in case the marriage collapses. They just can't fully trust any man. What if the man leaves them hanging and leaves with another woman. Pls, that doesn't happen as often as it sounds without the necessary procedures. All these reasons might seem to make sense and I might actually understand some of them, especially the lack of trust of women by men, but I still think they are not good enough to hide your income from your spouse. Why be in a relationship if there is no trust. What's the point!!! It just defeats the purpose.

I am not married yet and have never been so far, so someone might argue and say that is why I feel the way I feel. However, I know, by God's grace, when I do get married, my wife will know my income. Why would I be married to her if I can't trust her! Don't get me wrong, I understand there might be times when maybe I am trying to get that nice gadget and she has been saying, but I decide to go buy it behind her back and come face the wrath later. : ) That's a different case entirely. She will still know my income, especially, my main income, from my spouse. As a couple, everything should be COMPLETELY open. If you can be open with someone that is a friend, moreso your own spouse. Hiding my income from my spouse will never make any damn sense to me!
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 6:13 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 3/28/2006 07:12:00 AM, Blogger Admin said…

    nice blog... worth reading. im sure you're gonna be a good husband someday. i pray God gives you a worthy wife.

     
  • At 3/30/2006 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Just Thinking Out Loud! said…

    Thanks. I actually do not a have not a tinge of doubt about that. :) Nice blog you got, felrivas. And thank God for your new son in your life. He may not come when you want it but He is ALWAYS on time. Wish you all the best with raising him.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER