Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Surf on, baby!
I read an article, Fired For Surfing, about this guy who was fired for surfing the net at work and a NY judge ruled that he couldn't be fired. In a way, the article reminded me of myself. If you are looking for the most paranoid person at work, I am the one! Everytime I am at work, I am very careful about how much I surf the net or chat on instant messenger. I am careful about what sites I go to, how long I surf the net, what I say on IM, etc. Many times, when I am chatting with friends while I am at work, I always have to caution them about what to say or to code what they say. I speak more Yoruba than anyone else that I know on IM especially when I am at work. I even have American friends who I have taught some words in Yoruba in order to use those words to code what we talk about when we are talking online. I am cos I know how easy it is to be tracked at work. I just think if you are going to be fired, it shouldn't be for something that you could have easily avoided. It doesn't cost that much at all to buy tracking softwares. They cost as little as $99 per license in some cases. I guess my paranoia might also be due to the fact that I have friends who have been warned at work to surf the net less and I also have friends in some companies who watch their employees' monitors on their own screens while the employees are working, a very common trend in the telemarketing world. The policies vary with different companies. There are comapnies where one has to be more careful than the others, so it really depends.

I have to say that I love the judge's ruling. As long as surfing the net does not in any way hinder the progress of your work, you should never be questioned (though I got to say that that could have exceptions). He said that the same standard should be applied to personal Internet use as is applied to other personal activities. If you are allowed to take personal calls at work, you should be able to do some personal internet browsing too. This makes perfect sense. However, I also have to acknowledge that internet use could be very distracting in a very good number of cases. There are days that internet browsing kills my time and there are days that I have too much work to surf the net. I think each person just has to learn to be responsible about the use of the net at work. Make sure it does not affect your job productivity in any way cos that's what pays the check. I also think one has to be careful cos if they are trying to get rid of you, they can always use that as excuse, though cases like the aforementioned might help to curb that, depending on the state or country you are in.

Maybe this ruling will give me more laxity to surf the net as I like. Yeah right!
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 12:13 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 4/26/2006 01:43:00 PM, Blogger Nneka's World said…

    I feel you on surfing, anyway my job entails me to surf the net for updates on softwares and training thingimajigs, but i have been warned once about surfing too much, so i just use style to surf the net, clean up my records after me and all.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER