Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Monday, February 27, 2006
If I can do it, you can definitely do the same and much more!!!
Every year during the National Engineers' Week, my company normally organizes its employees to volunteer for a day with Middle/High school kids. Interested employees volunteer to go to a school of choice to talk to the kids about Engineering. I started volunteering last year for this specific event and after going last year, I promised myself that I will make it there every year. It's a lot of fun just working with the kids and listening to them ask questions et al. This year, I decided to choose a different school - a Magnet Middle School. The day was last Friday. That morning, I thought to myself, "I hope this school is a black school cos those white kids don't really need any motivation; They got it all." And thank God it was. It was an all-day affair (from 10 to 3). I actually got there at about 9.20 to get myself prepared. I quickly got prepared before 10am (something I had never done with any activity in a while - prepare before time) and at about 10.10, we headed out to our class. On our way, saw this lady. Damn!!! She was fiiiiiiine!!!! Damn! She looked like a perfect work of a potter. It was unbelievable! She seemed to have been a visitor too cos she had visitor's tag on her chest. That's by the side! :)

Got distracted by that for a second, but went on to do my thing. It was a lot of fun. My partner and I introduced ourselves in each of the 4 classes, of about 40 students each, that we had. Talked about our background - work, college attended, value of math in our career etc. Then we grouped them into groups for an activity, Puff Mobile, in which they had to make a car using paper, straws and lifesavers. It was interesting watching them do their thing. The whole thing took me back to when I was their age too. "Damn! These bills have no bills", I thought to myself. :) I'm so mad at that. Each class finished the project and we then entertained questions. How much do you earn? - each class asked this question. What kind of car do you drive? What do I need to get into college? Do I really need math? Was college stressful for you? Where are you from again? :) Dammit! My f%^&& accent. That shit always gives me out! lol! How much was your college? etc I loved everything about the event. And the students were unusually well-behaved unlike the ones from last year at the school I went to where one of them even stole one of my colleagues' Nextel cellphone (which they later found after about 45 mins). But this school was great. Smart students, they were very into the activity, they asked questions, etc. And these students could put you in trouble too. Some of the females were pretty much flirting with me. lol! I was like, these kids of nowadays! After the questions, we gave them general advice. And my partner said something to me that I will never forget, "This is one's last chance to get these kids cos once they get to high school, it becomes too late. That's where they seem to make up their minds about who and what they want to become. That's where they usually get into drugs, sex, alcohol etc OR make up their minds to have great career." I thought that was very true.

This type of volunteer work is something I have been doing for over 5 years now. I always look for every opportunity to work with middle/high school kids cos you never know; you might end up having a great impact on one of the kids. My belief is, "ALL IT TAKES IS ONE; DON'T TRY TO IMPACT TOO MANY. JUST ONE!" And this was proven true 3 yrs ago when I volunteered to work with some middle schools at my company (I do that every year too in July for one week). While we were on a tour of North Carolina Central University, I walked with one of the kids and talked to him about what he wanted to do in college, how he was doing so far in his classes and what he needed to do to get to where he wanted to get to - Engineering at Morehouse. We just talked casually. At the end of the program on Friday, each student had to talk about what they did and learnt. When it was his turn, he got up and said he had a poem to recite dedicated to someone that had helped him a lot in the past one week and he called my name. I didn't even get the name cos he mispronounced my name. Then he pointed to me and I looked back to see if he was pointing to someone else behind me. And he was like, you. I pointed to myself asking, me? And he said, yes, you. He asked me to stand while he recited the poem. I was really moved, I got to admit. I was shocked! All I did was talk to him casually about school, college and partying. :) I know, partying, right Motivator talking about partying! lol! But hey, you got to keep it real with them. Since then, my belief that all it takes is one was much more reinforced in my mind and I have vowed to always volunteer any time I have opportunity to.

My advice to everyone is to do some volunteer work (at least yearly) to help kids. Especially foreigners in this country. We feel like we don't need to be doing that. It's not our country. Who cares? But that's not right. You are here anyway, so you might as well make a difference in the lives around you. They have a lot of community centers anywhere you live where you can volunteer to tutor or something like that. They look up to you. Believe me. It's always great for black kids to see blacks like them doing something apart from entertainment and sports. Please, stop a kid from ending up in jail or living a crazy life. Let them know that if you can do it, they can do the same and even much more. Always let them know that cos a lot of these kids do not have the opportunities many other people have or many of us had. Or in a lot of cases, they have the opportunities but they get sidetracked and put them to waste. That's the core of what I tell them all the time - if I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it and even do much more.
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 10:55 AM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER