Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Get some REITs!
REIT (rhymes with treat) stands for Real Estate Investment Trust Fund. Wikipedia defines it as a tax designation for a corporation investing in real estate that reduces or eliminates corporate income taxes. The REIT structure was designed to provide a similar structure for investment in real estate as mutual funds provide for investment in stocks. These REITs could be publicly or privately held.

After hearing about REITs over a year ago, I chose the REIT fund as one of my 401k selections. This specific index fund represents ownership and operation of real estate investment trusts. They invest in publicly traded real estate equity properties in the United States. No regrets since then. In fact, I haven't had a loss in my 401k balance(something that was very normal for me my 1st 2yrs at work. I mean everytime I logged in back then, I saw the red text indicating loss). Thank God that changed since I listened to some financial planner that I got back then. Actually, I already had it before I talked to the guy but he helped me to have a better mix by mixng the right funds with my REITs. It's about 40% of my whole 401k just to lower my risk. This year alone, my returns on my REIT has been 16.5% so far. That's outstanding when compared to the other selections that I have.

I would advise anyone that has 401k and is having problems choosing the right mix of selections to try the REIT option if their portfolio manager has one. Though I got to say that, last yr's total return was much less than year before, so I might actually get out of it once I see that it's dropping in returns nonstop. Cos real estate seems to be going down slowly based on reports. However, for now, I am keeping it and riding till it starts going down nonstop. My advice to anyone, add a REIT to your 401k portfolio and for those that have mutual funds in the investment firms and do not have REITs on their portfolios, I really wonder why.
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 1:17 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER