Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Alone might not be that bad, after all!
Comedy shows! Always loved them! All my life, I have always loved stand up comedy shows. Just always loved laughing. Life is too short to take many things too seriously. I remember staying up late night, as a kid, with my aunt to watch shows that featured stand up comedians like Ali Baba, Gbenga Adeboye and many other ones in Nigeria. My mom didn't allow me to watch TV past a certain time back then except my aunt was up watching with me, so I always begged her to please stay up and watch Ms Nigeria broadcast with Ben Bruce & co and a lot of other late night shows because I knew my favorite stand up comedians would feature. As I grew older and was allowed to stay up late to watch movies and what not, I got to know some other stand up comedians in the other side of the world such as Sinbad, Martin Lawrence, Wayans Brothers, Chris Tucker, etc and looked forward to seeing them live some day. Around the age of 19, I won the Green Card Visa Lottery and came down to the United States. The experience here, as I got here, I'm sure, like many others, is worth a whole book. I will leave all that story for some other time. However, since then, I have gone to see a lot of stand up comedians. As long as I had the opportunity, the money was there and it was in a 3hr-drive or less radius from my area, I went to see them - Chris Rock, Talent, Rich Voss, Rickey Smiley, Bruce Bruce, DL Hughley etc.

At all the times, I have gone to comedy shows, one thing has been common; I always go with a date or with some lady friend, like a friend of mine calls it. Always! Ok...maybe apart from this one time...when I went to see DL Hughley in New York with my partner in crime back then. I just always saw it as a must to go with a date. I mean...how the hell do you enter a comedy hall and you are there by yourself. It just always seemed more elegant to go with a lady, pretty one though. : )

Last week, Mike Epps (or Benjamin Epps like I called him to a coworker and he was like, WTF is that) came to town. Always thought he was the goofy funny ass type of comedian, so at the opportunity to see him live, I decided to jump on it and go to the Saturday show. As usual, I got my 2 tickets from a friend who had 2 spare tickets cos the tickets got sold out almost immediately. Then the decision time came. Had to ask someone to come with me as usual. Let's see...hmmm...who should I ask...should I ask someone that is just a friend with no strings attached whatsoever or someone that I am actually dating...hmmm...the person I would have gone with back then, she stopped picking up my phone calls since I got overly honest with her about the state of thing...ok...so let's see then...hmmm...since I don't have any girlfriend right now...who do I go with? Hmmm...maybe...You know what? Too much thinking...I beg...we'll see when the time comes close. Then one of my dear friends called me and told me she was having a cookout for her graduation on Saturday. Dammit! What would happen to my comedy show then! That means I can't make it. Mehn, whyyyy!!! Can I still go to the comedy show regardless or should I just forget it. I battled with that decision. Anywayz, after thinking about it a lil bit, I decided to look around and sell the tickets. I called a couple of friends and within few minutes, I got someone who was interested in buying them. As he said yes and asked me for the number of tickets, all of a sudden, hmmm...you know what...maybe I can still go...how about I just try going alone for a change. That way, I can go straight from the cookout and still come back immediately without having to pick up or drop anyone. "Just one ticket", I answered him. That was it! I had to go alone! For the first time, I was going to go to a comedy show alone. What!!!

Anywayz, I sold the ticket to him, though he wanted 2. He is precisely like me too; he always goes with dates. Even to just regular game night hang outs. Pretty much always! I call him the date master jokingly sometimes. : ) On Saturday, after going to one graduation party and then staying for some hours at the graduation cookout and hanging out with the crew, I bailed out to the comedy show alone. On getting there, I went in and I was assigned a seat surrounded by empty seats. WTF? Why do they have to put me on a seat surrounded by empty seats? How obvious can they make it that I am all alone? Look at all these people with friends or dates. :)! To be frank, I have always been the type that did my own thing and didn't care what anyone said, but this time, the empty surrounding seats weren't helping matters at all. WTF? I felt like everyone was staring at me. Lol! As usual, I scanned around for the ladies. I saw this really gorgeous ass, caramel complexioned lady staring continuously and every time I looked at her, she quickly took her face away and it was so obvious. She smiled looking away and I just smiled each time too. I chilled there alone for a little playing the looking game while and people kept coming in, but they refused to fill the seats around me. : ) Omo, after a while, I called some friends, that I knew, were coming and I got up, went to wait for them outside and came in with them as a group of 9. I couldn't do it! Lol!

However, I have to say that going alone felt really good overall. It might not be the best idea to go alone and sit alone but going alone and meeting up with friends was not a bad idea at all. Every one of us who was there had no strings attached to any other party. It felt strangely liberating. I didn't have to worry about impressing or not impressing some new date that I came with or wonder or some crap like that. I thought I was the only one who felt that way, but one of the ladies who were with us mentioned it later that night when I met them at the club. At the end of the night, I thought to myself, "You really don't have to always go with a date." All in all, it was mad fun for sure. I would definitely go see Mike Epps again when he comes around. And the dude that opened for him (some actor in some Preacher movie), outstanding! Look forward to him coming back to the area like he said he would. Would have loved to see it, but I hope people supported Mike Epps and saw the Mike Epps HBO special on Saturday night!

I think I might be doing it all alone when Rickey Smiley shows up later in the year too! For where (Hell NO)! lol!
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 5:57 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER