Just Thinking Out Loud!

Just an immigrant in US with a positive attitude towards life. Here thinking out loud about sex, Nigeria, love, friendship, religion, spritiuality, family, history, mistakes, DJing, gadgets, sports, credit, technology, hobbies, politics, Africa, jokes, relationships, gadgets, finances, money, investments, Nigerians in the diaspora and so on and so forth.

Some 2K10 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Paint entire house
  • Set up entire downstairs including garage
  • Reduce credit card debt by at least $2k
  • Pay off any miscellaneous debt
  • Most definitely get into a committed relationship
  • Most definitely send money to mom for a new car
  • Take time to develop relationships
  • At least, 2 patents
  • Aggresively work on developing iPhone App dev skills
  • Create a webpage for DJing
  • Expand my career breadth
  • Visit London
  • Join Toastmasters
  • Create a will and a Power of Attorney 4 Healthcare
  • Take complete control of soda drinking
  • Work on taking a CPR class
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K7 Goals by God's special grace n power
  • Finally buy some Nyja stocks
  • Get a loaded Thinkpad or Sony Vaio
  • Join MentorPlace n consistently mentor
  • Put at least $2K in stocks apart from investment club contr. & 401k
  • Take complete control of coffee
SO, HELP ME GOD!
Some 2K6 Goals by God's grace
  • Have a white paper published
  • Work on increasing pay
  • Get to the next band at work
  • Help renovate mom's place
  • Give mom n bro at least $*K each for wedding
  • Finally visit Nyja!!!
  • Take a real estate class
My Videos
Go Getta. R. Kelly
Music I'm Feeling...
  • 2Face
  • Ebenezer Obey
  • KWAM 1
  • Cassandra Wilson
  • Pharell
  • Ne-Yo
  • T.O.K
  • Don Moen
  • D4L
  • Teddy Pendergrass
  • ColdPlay
  • DMB
  • Notorious B.I.G
  • Delirious
  • Dem Franchise Boyz
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Evanescence
  • All-American Rejects
  • Billie Holiday
  • Seal
  • Obesere
  • KEM
Books I'm reading...
  • Zero Debt
  • The Millionaire Next Door
  • The Street Lawyer
  • African Women: Three Generations
  • Communication, Sex & Money
  • The J2EE Tutorial
Cities I Have Visited
  • ATL, GA
  • Austin,TX
  • Detroit, MI
  • Houston, TX
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Corning, NY
  • NYC, NY
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Cleaning your canned drinks before drinking!!!
I read one of those chain emails today about how you could get infected with some crazy-named disease if you drink from soda et al. It's an email that I read sometime ago and got me to start a new habit. Here is the email:

This incident happened recently in North Texas. A woman went boating one Sunday taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday. The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass.
Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis. Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of soda cans before drinking out of them. The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.
A study at NYCU showed that the tops of soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e). full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.


I know it sounds like one of those useless emails that we all delete, but hold on... I decided to google that disease just to confirm or dispel my fears and the reason for my habit. Guess what! I found out that the story could possibly be true. I don't like spreading unnecessary paranoia but it doesn't hurt in any way to clean the top of canned sodas that you did not open the box. This applies especially to canned sodas from vending machines. You don't know the history of those, but at least, you can vouch for the ones that you bought from grocery stores yourself in boxes and opened them up.
Anyway, it doesn't hurt to clean the top of your can sodas before drinking them. Like my principal in school (I love that man, Adefolaju, most inspiring principal of all time) used to say, "To be fore-warned, is to be fore-armed." I clean the top of my canned drinks almost all the time - not all. :) It doesnt' hurt me in any way. ;)
posted by Just Thinking Out Loud! @ 10:31 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11/22/2005 11:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its true so as a precaution rince and wipe your cans before you drink out of them. Just thing about the warehouses the drinks are stored in prior to distributions and the thousands of rodents that have done the number 1s and 2s on your sprite can!!!
    Be safe and wash the can before drinking.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 09:35:00 AM, Blogger Adaure Achumba said…

    ER this story is false... look it up on one of those fact checker websites.. just google it up. But yeah, it doesn't hurt to wipe or wash your cans before you drink... I've always done that.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Just Thinking Out Loud! said…

    to adaure:

    True! I don't know about the validity of the story but I know the validity of the disease. The disease is real and is caused by things such as urine from rodents among other causes.

     
  • At 12/03/2005 01:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahhh please people I do understand when one says that it is always a good practice to clean things including cans. However, I do not understand on how you can google things up and do not find that the disease needs constant water presence to live. That means simply that dry urine cannot in no way infect people with Leptospirosis. Moreover, NYCU does not exist and it was ment to be NYU = New-York University.
    To look up the disease go to Official website for that disease.

     
  • At 12/08/2005 04:57:00 PM, Blogger Just Thinking Out Loud! said…

    to annonymous:

    Like I said earlier, I have no idea of the validity of the story and do not care if it's true or not (actually I believe it's not true, it's obvious from the NYCU it says, like u said), but the disease exists and could be caused by rodents' urine (didn't bother checking if it's wet or dry. to me, that's irrelevant). So, to me prevention is better than cure. A dirty can is just not healthy either. It doesn't cost me jack to clean the top of a can.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Eyan
Email: nyjaguy@gmail.com Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Some Of D Blogs That I Read
Some of D Sites I Visit
Bible Verse of D Day
Visitors

Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER